“Time is of the Essence” is one of those rare terms that has its origins in contract law but is immediately understandable to the average person–so much so that it’s crept into everyday usage and is commonly used in non-legal contexts.
The reason this phrase is so intuitive is because it’s relatable; we all know what it’s like to feel that time is our scarcest resource. And that’s why we created Outlaw: because when time is valuable, people need a way to get their deals done faster.
So we’re showing them how.
The old way
Outlaw is an online platform that lets customers create templates for the contracts they use regularly, and then use those templates to generate new contracts that can be viewed and edited by multiple parties and updated in real time.
In other words, Outlaw cuts out all the steps that take extra time our customers don’t have to waste, like:
- Find the right Word document or PDF file on your computer and open it
- “Save As”
- Search document for all of the tidbits of information that need to be edited and manually fill out the fields
- “Save” again
- Write an email to the recipient with the document attached
- Realize you forgot to attach the document and send the “oops! attached now!” email (it’s ok–we’ve all done it)
Did they receive it? Is it in their spam folder? Are they reviewing it? Does their computer support the file type?? Who’s to say, really, until, at last–
- Receive a response saying they emailed it to their attorney to review, but then they realized that something was left blank, so can you make the change and send it again?
At least this time you kept the Word document open.
Just don’t forget to “Save As” with a different file name, so that when you send it to the recipient to send to their attorney the two versions don’t get mixed up…
All this, and you haven’t even gotten to the negotiation phase yet. Who has the time, let alone the patience, for this? Maybe lawyers are just so used to it they can shrug their shoulders at such inefficiency; but we’re not lawyers, and we’re over it.
The Outlaw way
Our customers are people who are over it too, and decided that they wanted to get deals done like this:
- Log in to Outlaw account
- Generate new contract from a template with the touch of a button
- Fill out pre-determined variables with deal-specific info
- Share with multiple recipients
- Add comments and make edits that all parties can watch happening as the document updates in real time
- Review and e-sign!
Everyone looking at the same thing, in the same place, at the same time.
If it seems like this makes too much sense that’s because while the method might be new, the concept is, after all, quite old: time is of the essence.